Are you depressed or know someone that is? You aren’t alone and you have control!

Did you know that about 5% of women report persistently high levels of postpartum depression symptoms for three years after giving birth.

4 kids is a lot, and I’m grateful beyond measure. But if I’m being honest some days depression sits in. Honestly it always will. Yes I can counter it with removing and reducing everyday toxins, bioavailability vitamins and good gut health but here are some things that I don’t think people are fully aware of.

You can’t outrun depression. 40-50% is hereditary and it could be higher depending on the severity of your depression. If someone has a parent or sibling with major depression, that person probably has a 2 or 3 times greater risk of developing depression compared with the average person (or around 20-30% instead of 10%). Now while scientists do believe that 40% of those with depression can trace it to a genetic link. There is something bigger, that we have control over but it isn’t discussed… our environment. Environmental factors make up the other 60 percent. 

I was labeled as clinically depressed, the most common kind, and it steamed from childhood trauma and life happening faster than I could control. Depression can definitely be managed with or without prescriptions but it’s a personal choice. For me I didn’t want to be medicated anymore. But you have to decide what works for you. When I found out that imbalance in serotonin can lead to mood disorders and other issues, such as obsessive-compulsive disorder and panic attacks I knew the best thing for me was to go natural and reducing my toxic exposure was a big part of that. I was definitely the bleach, Tide, Lysol and Clorox chick buying up all the bath and body works and let’s just say it wasn’t a secret between me and Victoria…. Have you taken a look at your environment- people, places, and things you use on a daily basis and taken into account how they affect your health?

Depression it can be treated, but we have to be aware of our symptoms and we have to feel comfortable talking about them. For me I was embarrassed and idk what it was like for you growing up but it wasn’t okay to talk about certain things. This topic was one of them. I have to be aware of what triggers me and be comfortable with knowing that I could go into remission with my depression. That’s okay but my goal is to continue to heal my gut and be honest with myself and my doctor about what I’m capable of, where I’m at, and how I’m coping.

There are a few different types of depression and levels of severity. It won’t always attack you the same way, it won’t always be the same for you that it is for someone you know. Create a circle around you of people that you trust, that can help you and maybe even notice when you are falling into depression that can say hey, let’s talk. Don’t be ashamed or embarrassed because you aren’t alone. You have control, and you can make changes immediately. Sending love and light your way. 💓

non toxic beauty products (Consultant)

Welcome to ShariSmyth.com where I share glimpses of my everyday life and some of my favorite things.

Shop My Instagram

Grab your free 3 day gut healing meal plan

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.